Sunday Brassica Bed Work

So Sunday morning comes around, and it’s allotment time.

The sun was out but there was a cold breeze, but Sunday morning allotment time means I can put the radio on and listen to BBC Essex Quest. I’m getting far too old, too quickly, and my Essex geography is terrible.

Anyway, we are trying to stick to a rotation, and after broad beans comes brassicas.

We dug over the bed, finding raspberry suckers and small potato plants (it’s been 2 years since we had Red Duke of Yorks in there).


We had assistance from a little red helper.



Then the structure for the netting went over.



We’re hardening off the brassicas to plant in a couple of weeks. So more on this soon.

And it’s been awhile since we took in the whole plot, so here goes…


Without the big shed it has really changed the plot.

A Thursday water and pictures 

The allotment needed some water and I thought I’d take some pictures…


The artichokes are starting to form, can some recommend what to do with them, we just give them away because the plants are too good to get rid off.


Blueberries are starting to flower it’s only taken 2 years.


Fruit trees are starting to settle in, and are budding.


So are the raspberries.

Planning for a visit over the weekend, watch this space, there’s plans afoot for brassica beds.

Easter Sunday

So the weatherman was predicting rain, torrential rain and rain on the top this weekend, so we were up early and on the plot by 8:30, to make the most of the day before the floods came.

4 hours later and we hadn’t had a spot but were hungry, so left.

I’d been hardening off the broad beans I planted recently for the last week and got them in.


We finished off the fencing the roots bed and edged all the way round. Carrots, parsnips and Swiss chard. More to go in later.


Finally managed to find some chilli plants because the seeds we started don’t seem to be doing anything.

Mrs Allotment10and10a weeded the polytunnel and we planted the chillies.


And she potted on courgettes.


And some flowers.


And I potted on some bedding plants I started from seed a month ago.


And then finally we moved our secondary water butt next to our primary water butt and connected them together. Much tidier now.


It’s been a busy weekend and I ache, but feel we are making progress and it’s starting to look like an allotment again.

Potatoes are in

Well Good Friday bought good weather to Allotment10and10a so we decided to spent a couple of hours plotting.

Our maincrop, Cara, and salad potatoes, Pink Fir Apples, are now in.


I always forget how much work it is digging in potatoes, but hopefully we’ll not get blight this year.

I was helped by this little fella…


We also spent some time edging out bed for roots and and redoing the boundary fence, more on that to follow.

Raspberries, raspberries, raspberries 

So after 4 months of putting it off I finally finished off sorting the raspberry beds outs.

I ached, sweated, had dirty hands and my fat fingers couldn’t cope with the tiny, tiny bolts I’d bought. But I’m happy with the results…


We have a row of summer fruiting canes growing at the back and a variety of autumn fruiting canes at the front.

Since the photo was taken I’ve added five more to the right bed and we mulched all of them but I forgot to snap a photo, I’ll try to remember next time.

Allotment10and10a is starting to look like an allotment again, especially after a mow of the grass and a tidy of the edges.

Potted fruit trees

So… for years I said people who buy things off the shopping channels are idiots, I can now count myself as an idiot.

Ideal World recently had a special offer on ‘patio’ fruit trees, and I thought they’ll be good for where the shed used to be at the allotment…

Cut a long story short, after many angry tweets, the trees arrived and we potted them up.


Hopefully we’ll have some apples, pears, plums and cherries later in the year, I’ll keep you posted.

Man make fire and weeds

So this weekend was the day I decided to remove the broken shed. If I’d thought about it move I should have just taken it to the tip but I decided to burn it. All men like making fire so for three hours this Saturday I was pulling, punching and stamping on bits of wood to make them small enough to burn. 

I didn’t quite appreciate how hot the fire would get and almost melted the plastic compost bin.

Unfortunately I don’t have any pictures, I was too busy burning things!

We pulled the remaining parsnips and leeks because we needed to weed the bed ready for our maincrop potatoes. 



The rest of the time was weeding the garlic and onions and broad beans.



Mrs Allotment10and10a planted up cucumbers, cucamelon, sprouts, kale, psb, courgettes and butternut squash in the polytunnel and we started tomatoes, chillies and peppers on the windowsill at home.


And we had a flurry of bedding plant seeds planted. More on those if they come to anything.

Broad beans

So a week and a bit a go I planted some more broad beans in modules to go outside in a few weeks time, and they’ve started to sprout.


And the outdoor ones planted in November have got their first flowers on.


And we pulled the storm damaged shed down, and I’m planning a bonfire this weekend