A busy weekend…
The allotment looked like this at the start of the weekend
The previous tenants hadn’t really looked after the compost heap very well so we needed to empty all sorts of stuff: plastic, wood, rose, rope, the list goes on… We took about a third of what was on the heap out and pulled it down to the communal burning pile. This took much longer than either of us thought but it looks much better now and we can actually use it, see below:
We had to borrow a wheelbarrow this weekend because of our grand plans, we decided extend the second bed from the top into the small, narrow bed. Dig it over, top it with some of the communal compost and cover it for winter. Well I think we were both surprised how long this took and how much we would ache in the morning, the answer to both is a lot.
We also filled in the small narrow bed in front of the shed.
At the end of Saturday, a long day, our allotment looked like the plan above. We had to visit the allotment again on the Sunday because we had to return the borrowed wheelbarrow and pick up some paperwork, we had also planned to do a bit more digging but we were in no state to do this, so instead we had a cup of coffee.
Whilst we were sitting surveying our land we met our neighbour who said he was giving up allotment 10, then gave us a watering can, which we thought was nice.
I later chased the man out of the shop to ask if I could buy his wheelbarrow, Chel wasn’t impressed with this, and the nice gentleman said he’d leave it for us and there was no need to pay. Win.
The news of him giving up plot 10 lead us to think about expanding if we could get the plot. More on this later.